The theory behind this farm is laughably simple: Mimics can spawn anywhere, provided that there is a natural wall in the background. This means mimics can spawn practically anywhere. Dig 2 blocks down and you’ll find a natural dirt wall.
The surface build goes as follows:
- Step 1: Flatten a large plane of land, 146 blocks in length. Do not break any walls.
- Step 2: Dig downwards until the entire farm has at least 2 natural dirt walls sticking into the air.
- Step 3: Create a platform in the middle of the farm, 40 blocks above the ground.
- Step 4: Place 1 dart trap at each end of the farm, wired to a 3 second timer.
- Step 5: Place lava in a very thin layer 41 blocks beneath the platform.
Mobs can only spawn in a 146×90 area around the player. Mobs cannot spawn within a 108×66 area around the player, or outside of the 146×90 area. Since the only mobs to spawn are slimed and mimics, the dart traps will instantly kill the slimes, leaving another opportunity to spawn a mimic. If a mimic is spawned, they will be activated by the dart trap. They will then hop into the lava, dying. Add a few water candles if you want even higher spawn rates.
With this method, I managed to earn every item a Mimic can drop, including 4 titans gloves, 2 star cloaks, etc.
Good luck, please let me know if you can think of another farm!
Original Link – Continuation of discussion