So I just bought the Sims 4 digital deluxe on Origin but I noticed some big changes in the game so I wanted to ask which is still a better game?
The Sims 3
- Open world. Once you load in a map you can move to any building on it without loading screens.
- Create a style exists as a feature that allows you to change both the color and patterns on most objects and clothing articles.
- Even without custom content or DLC this game can be played for hundreds upon hundreds of hours. There is much to do and the replayability is extremely high.
- Most of the expansions (not stuff packs or store content) is worthwhile. They add in new ways to play as well as many new locations, buildings, objects, etc.
- Easy to pick up and play. It’s fun for both casuals and hardcore gamers alike.
- Plenty of mods to add to your game.
- While load screens are not often they are EXTREMELY long. I’m talking at least 2-3 minutes to load a world for the first time you start the game up. I have a fairly decent PC (albeit no SSD), but the only game I’ve seen with load times this long is The Sims 2 and Fallout 4. Expansions seem to make the load times longer which is a bummer.
- There is a lack of timers on events such as dates and parties. Also, sims will be saying they are having a bad time and you’re not entirely sure why because they’ll be dancing, eating food and socializing. What more do they want?
- Moodlets can be glitchy at times.
- The amount of DLC often scares people away. It did for me at first. However, being a owner of all the expansions I can tell you that most of them while good are not even close to being essential for the game to be fun.
- The Sims 3 store items are overpriced. It’s one thing to have a bunch of xpacks and stuff packs that cost money. It’s even worse when they add in a ton of microtransactions shoved in your face (Unless you turn the option off).
The Sims 4
- Talking to other sims is so much more intuitive than The Sims 3. They can have conversations with several people at once and social events are timed and goals are clearly stated.
- The load times while more frequent are much faster. This may change if they continue to add in more expansions (Which c’mon we know they will).
- Lifetime wishes are much better. They give you steps to complete them. You can also change them at any time. Also, the rewards are both easy to obtain and give better perks.
- It feels more polished than The Sims 3. Some people disagree, but I find the game is much more fluent.
- No create a style.
- No open world.
- Tons of content ripped from the base game. Pools weren’t even a thing at launch.
- You thought 20 dollars was a lot for an expansion? Try 40. The content while it is decent is NOT worth 60% of the games retail price.
- If The Sims 3 was the king of cashgrabbing, then the Sims 4 would be the emperor of the universe of cashgrabbing (despite the fact they removed the store filled with microtransactions).
- Mods don’t work too well.
- Origin only.
I would personally start off with The Sims 3 base game. If you like it consider buying The Sims 4. Play both and compare them for yourself.
The Sims 3 is a better game in my opinion. The Sims 4 is still a decent game, but it takes many steps back.
Original Link – Continuation of discussion