The best ways to get around in the most difficult areas!
- There are very few above water areas in Subnautica.
- The mountain island contains Precursor artifacts, valuable resources, and the QEP.
- The floating island has blueprints, and the remnants of the Degasi crew’s old bases.
- Islands in this game are relatively small, so you can just explore on foot.
0 m / ~100 m
- Places such as the safe shallows or kelp forest are quite shallow, so the Cyclops will constantly drag bottom or get stuck on the reefs.
- Seamoths are the best vehicle for navigating these areas due to their small size, high speed, and ability to float above the bottom. This means less time getting stuck.
- A depth upgrade is not required in these areas.
- There are not many predators in these areas, as long as you don’t adventure too far.
- Avoid the Aurora crash site, where the Reaper Leviathans live.
- Bring an extra power cell, food, and water. This is a good tip for anywhere really.
~100 m / 200 m
- The grassy plateaus is deep enough for a Cyclops to pass through without issues.
- The grassy plateaus are does have Sandsharks, Biters, and more.
- The Jellyshroom Caves may be accessed with a MK1 depth upgrade or higher.
- Avoid leviathan spawn locations. ( Just google a SN map and you can see them all. )
- Do not go in the Dunes or into the Mountains biome unless it is required.
- The Sparse Reef and a few other places can be reached, but a depth upgrade is required to enter caves or deepest areas.
- The Mushroom Forest has useful stuff, but be extremely careful because this biome is close to danger zones and has many trees which can cause you to break vehicles.
~200 m / 500m
- The Underwater Islands, Blood Kelp, Grand Reef, and Deep Grand Reef are in this depth range.
- There are a lot more resources, dangerous predators, and cool discoveries around.
- Avoid Crabsquids, Ampeels, and other predators. You will probably see Warpers, too.
- Crabsquids may EMP your stuff. Dodge their green blasts.
- There is a Degasi base in the Deep Grand Reef.
- The Blood Kelp contains blood oil and deep-shrooms for advanced fabrication.
- Lost River entrances are located in the Blood Kelp and Deep Grand Reef.
* Ghost Leviathans are spotted in these biomes!!
The Lost River
- Extremely Dangerous!
- Has Ghost Leviathans, River Prowlers, and Acidic Brine everywhere!
- Cyclops will get stuck on branches/bones protruding from the sea floor.
- Use a Prawn Suit to protect yourself from brine, shield from attacks, and have much more mobility.
- New resources and discoveries are found here.
- The DRF is located at ~800 m deep in the LR.
- Explore at your own risk.
Lava Zones (ILZ + ALZ)
- Have a ton of predators.
- Depth upgrades on a Prawn Suit required. Seamoths can’t go deep enough.
- Contain several Precursor bases such as the ATP and PCF.
- Sea Dragons live in the area!
- If you hear a leviathan, it can see you. Run!
- Kyanite can be found in the lava zones.
* Cure for Kharra can be discovered in the PCF!
* Teleporters and an Ion Cube Fabricator are located in the alien bases.
Original Link – Continuation of discussion